On Thursday, we all learned how to turn our cheap Brita filtered vodka into a sweet Skittles infused vodka liqueur. Well today, instead of infusing the candy into the vodka, we're going to learn how to infuse the vodka into the candy. That's right, we're going to make Drunken Gummies! Huh? ;-)
As I was scanning through the posts on the Daily DIY this morning, I came across a nifty little hack to turn regular Gummi Bear candies into vodka-infused "Drunken Gummies" candies. Courtnix from the Instructables site posted a step-by-step tutorial on how to make these Drunken Gummies, and her instructions are as follows:
step 1: Prepare materials and get them soakin'!
This Instructable takes a bit more than a week to complete, but the end result is certainly worth it!
You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups of vodka (can use more or less if desired)
- 1 tub of gummi bear candies, plastic with lid (about 1kg. Tub found at Wal-mart)
- 1 can of frozen juice concentrate, any flavour desired (I used fruit punch.)
You can keep the juice frozen for now, as you will not need it for a few days.
- First step is to open the lid of your gummi bears and pour in the vodka. The amount and brand is at your discretion, though I have found 1.5 cups of Smirnoff vodka to be the best. I have tried this with raspberry vodka as well, with pleasurable results. Basically, pour the vodka into the packed bears until the alcohol barely peeks over the top.
- Give your newly introduced gummi-bears and vodka a stir, and replace the lid. Place the whole tub into the fridge.
- Let this sit for five days, stirring a couple of times each day.
step 2: I've created a monster!.... I've created 500 monsters!
After five days, much of your vodka will have been soaked into the bears and they may have gone through a significant growth spurt, as shown in the photo. Now is the time for the juice to be added.
The purpose of the juice is to mask the strong vodka taste that exists in these candies.
- Place a thawed can of frozen juice into a mixing container, and add only HALF of the required water.
- Pour one cup of partially diluted juice into the tub of bears, stirring very well.
- Replace the lid and place back in the refrigerator.
step 3: Wait for it....
Let the bears sit in their juice and whatever vodka is left, for FOUR more days. This is essential because otherwise they will have a hard middle or will taste too much like vodka. Resist the urge to taste test!
Stir twice a day to prevent sticking.
step 4: Finally, our lovely mutants!
Your gummi bears are finally finished!
If there is a lot of excess juice/vodka resting in the bottom, you may drain it or leave it in to be further absorbed by the bears as they rest.
Remember to return to the fridge if they are not all eaten -- which rarely happens!
Be ready for the rush and eat these carefully as they can be pretty potent!
To check out the whole hack click here.